Monday, March 30, 2009

Understanding his story and his family

We were laying in bed the other night reading a book...the book was talking about all kinds of animals and asking the question "do you have a mommy"?.........somewhere in the midst of the book I asked Dakotah "how many mommies do you have Dakotah"..(I will often ask him this to gauge his understanding of our family structure)....he counts me ONE...Mima TWO.."I have 2 mommies"..he says with what seems like a sense of pride and as I always say..."yep, you have two mommies, arent' you lucky"..then I say "do you have a daddy" and he looks at me like "MOM!!!!!!!.....and says NOPE, I don't..." so I say "Do you have a birth daddy"? and he says "yep, I do"..I say "Oh, yeah, what is your birthdaddies name"? and Dakotah says "WESTON".... .......so I melt with pride that our son has been processing and listening when we tell the story of his family and where he came from. He can also identify the pictures we have of his birthparents and often will ask to look at them......my heart is holding onto hope that we will see them one day and that Dakotah will be honored and blessed to know his birth family...

3 comments:

Meg Weber Jeske said...

I share your hope, Shanon, for seeing D's birth family again. In the meantime, it's so great that you are telling him and he is listening and getting it...Yay!

Bobby Binko said...

That's awesome that he understands the family dynamic so well! Goes to show he's got two pretty smart mommies teaching him!! Great job!
B ":o)

De, Christa, and Murphy said...

I hope you can all meet again, too. Until then, keep up the great job of laying the groundwork for a relationship. You are the best!